The Parliament of Birds

(Mantiq al-Tayr)

About the Mantiq al-Tayr
"And silently their shining Lord replies:
'I am a mirror set before your eyes,
And all who come before my splendor see
Themselves, their own unique reality ...

... The Simurgh, Truth's last flawless jewel, the light
In which you will be lost to mortal sight,
Dispersed to nothingness until once more
You find in Me the selves you were before.'"
Archive
Links
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Other things
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.
Sunday, November 12, 2006
Sheikh Noughani at Neishapour
Sheikh Noughani set out for Neishapour,
The way was more than he could well endure
And he fell sick -- he spent a hungry week
Huddled in tattered clothes, alone and weak.
But after seven days had passed he cried:
'Dear God, send bread.' An unseen voice replied:
'Go, sweep the dirt of Neishapour's main square,
And with the grain of gold that you find there
Buy bread and eat.' The sheikh abruptly said:
'If I'd a broom I wouldn't beg for bread,
But I have nothing, as you plainly see;
Give me some bread and stop tormenting me!'
The voice said: 'Calm yourself, you need not weep --
If you want bread take up your broom and sweep.'
The sheikh crawled out and publicised his grief
Till he was lent a broom and sweeper's sieve.
He swept the filthy square as he’d been told,
And in his last sieve's dust-heap found the gold.
He hurried to the baker's, bought his bread --
Thoughts of the broom and sieve then filled his head.
He stopped short in his tracks; the shining grain
Was spent and he was destitute again.
He wandered aimlessly until he found
A ruined hut, and on the stony ground
He flung himself headlong; to his surprise
The broom and sieve appeared before his eyes.
Joy seized the old man -- then he cried: 'O Lord,
Why must I toil so hard for my reward?
You tell me to exhaust myself for bread!'
'Bread needs the sauce of work,' the Lord's voice said;
'Since bread is not enough, I will increase
The sauce that makes it tasty; work in peace!'

A simpleton walked naked through the crowd,
And seeing such fine clothes he cried aloud:
'God give me joy like theirs.' A voice replied:
'I give the sun's kind warmth; be satisfied.'
He said: 'My Lord, the sun clothes you, not me!'
The voice said: 'Wait ten days, then you will see
The garment I provide.' Ten days had gone;
A poor man offered to this simpleton
A ragged cloak made up of scraps and shreds.*
'You've spent ten days with patches and old threads
Stitching this cloak,' the madman said; 'I'll bet
You spoiled a treasury of clothes to get
So many bits together -- won't you tell
Your servant where you learned to sew so well?'
The answer came: 'In His great court one must
Be humble as His royal highway's dust;
So many, kindled by His glory, come --
But few will ever reach the longed-for home.'

* i.e. the dervish cloak.
posted by Firesong @ 12:00 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 












BLOGGER